Origins of Oriental Dance
Note: This paper was ftp'ed from the dance archive and Web'ified / shown
here with Meira's permission. The illustrations don't necessary match the
text (I know some of the later ones are wrong). The GIF#s I got mostly
matched up with the figure#s, but not completely. Correcting this is a
high effort/low yield sort of activity, but if someone knows which GIFs
go with which references, please tell me and I'll change it. - Stefan
- Part 1: What is Belly Dance?
- Part 2a: Greece/Macedonia/Bible/India
- Part 2b: Ancient Egypt/Medieval Egypt &
- Part 2c: Turkey/Ottoman/Persia/Spain/Gypsies
- Part 2d: Islamic Prohibitions in Persia/Trance
Dancing & Zar Cult/Berbers/Conclusions
- Part 3: Costuming
Send comments to author Me'ira (aka Cala) at (kharding@lamar.ColoState.edu).
This page last updated February 11, 1998 by Stefan (firstname.lastname@example.org).