Mailinglists, Newsgroups and Archives
- Mediterranean Dance Mailinglist
- The list is for discussions of dance from countries bordering the Mediterranean; the bulk of the list discusses belly dance. You can join the list by sending email to:
- email@example.com with "subscribe med-dance" (without the quotes) in the body of the message for the reflector version, or
- firstname.lastname@example.org with "subscribe med-dance-digest" (without the quotes) in the body for the digest version.
- Eileen Bauer's Middle Eastern Dance Archive
- Digests of posts and other info from the med-dance mailing list are archived here. Instructions for searching the large number of digests using key words can be found here.
- Middle Eastern Music mailinglist;
- Archives for this music-related mailinglist. To join the mailinglist contact: email@example.com (Juhana Kouhia).
- Rec.Music.Arabic Website
Other General Sites
- Belly Dance Home Page (Oriental Dance) - Stefan's central bellydance site with links to many other sites.
It includes, among other things, a list of email contacts around the world, and a collection of educational/instructional articles on the dance.
- Shira's Middle Eastern Dance Site - general site includes info about bellydance and its history, advice and tips, glossary of terms, Middle Eastern culture, lyrics to music and more.
- Gypsy Lore Society - info about everything Gypsy including politics, history, Romani Rights website...
- History of Ancient Egypt; includes an article on the status of women in Ancient Egypt.
- As-Sayf's Links to the Orient; Middle Eastern maps and country pages.
- Al-Mashriq - a huge source of info on the Levant in general and Lebanon in paticular including bios, etc. of musicians/singers.
- The Threshold Society - the authorized representative for the Mevlevi Sufi tradition in North America. Info on Sufism, Rumi, Whirling Dervish tour schedule, and more.
Cultural/Historical Image Gallery
FAQ's and Articles:
See also under Technique, Styles
Myths and Misunderstandings
Technique, Specific Styles